Effective Listening - Live Instructor-led Virtual Course
It is estimated that people screen out or change the intended purpose of what they hear in over 70 percent of all communications. The biggest factor contributing to such miscommunications is our listening approach. Behavioral research shows that people listen with a preferred listening approach, such as: Appreciative, Empathic, Comprehensive, Discerning, or Evaluative. This program enables each participant to identify his or her own preferred listening approach, and develop more effective strategies to improve overall communications. This program combines online instructor-led training with a personalized profile for Action Planning and application to the job.
Printable Version - To print a one page description of this course.
Program Length: This is an on-line instructor-led program consisting of prework, and 2 on-line sessions scheduled at least 21 days apartMajor Topics:
- Listening vs. Hearing
- Communication Filters
- Primary Factors in Listening Approaches
- Six Essential Communication Skills
- Listening Flexibility
- Enhance individual and team performance
- Foster considerate, collaborative and effective work styles
- Encourage specific strategies employees can use to minimize or avoid miscommunication
- Overcome listening barriers and reduce conflict
- Discover your preferred listening approach
- Understand the focus, motivation and behavioral indicators of the five listening approaches
- Appreciate the value of different listening approaches in various environments
- Learn how to gather information that is more thorough and complete
- Learn how to make decisions and draw conclusions that are processed more critically
- Learn how to organize information and listen for core meanings in the message
Effective Listening Program Process:
Prework: Personal Listening Profile®
Completion of the on-line Personal Listening Profile®. This instrument helps participants identify their natural approach to listening among the following: Appreciative, Empathic, Comprehensive, Discerning and Evaluative.
Session 1: Effective Listening TechniquesTime: 90 minutes
This session reviews key areas addressed in the profile and provides an overview of the focus, motivation and behavioral indicators of each listening approach. Each participant creates an Action Plan for communicating more effectively with others at work and is asked to report their progress during Session 2.
Session 2: Reinforcement Session, held at least 21 days after Session 1Time: 60 minutes
This session is designed to serve as a reinforcement vehicle for the participants in the program. During this time, participants discuss the successes and challenges they experienced when implementing their Action Plan. Suggestions are provided for enhancing their skills and making an ongoing commitment to Effective Listening.
Other Course Delivery Options
This course is also available in the Traditional Instructor-Led Classroom format.